There’s certainly no shortage of solar camping shower bags to choose from this year (2012) – so which model is the best camping shower bag for you? We took all the most popular models and did a side-by-side comparison.
What we found – was that, though there are a lot of similarities among the many choices, after looking closely, there were certainly a few brands and models that really stood out as the best camping shower bags for functionality, durability, and value.
We looked at Advanced Elements, Coghlans, Coleman, Seattle Sports, Stearns, and Wenzel. Of these we found that there are really only 3 choices worth your time, or your money.
The 3 Best Solar Camping Shower Bags
#1: Advanced Elements Solar Camping Shower Bags
Hands down, the number one, best solar camping shower bag is the Advanced Elements series. A bold statement, but the Advanced Elements camping shower bags stand apart from the competition for their rugged 4-ply construction and additional features that simply don’t exist with other brands. With an average user review rating of 4.5 out of 5 (from 52 user reviews), this is the one solar shower bag with virtually 100% positive feedback from real users.
They are available in 2.5, 3, 5, and even 10 Gallon models. They include all the standard features you expect in a solar shower such as an on/off shower-head switch and durable carrying handle, as well as some additional, well-thought-out unique features not available elsewhere.
- Rugged 4-ply construction with built-in insulator panel that generates warmer water faster.
- Extra-large filling valve which makes filling a breeze.
- Extra secure twist-off cap
- Side pocket for soap& shampoo
- Built-in water temperature gauge which lets you know when your water has reached a comfortable temperature.
- Velcro straps for your washcloth
The Advanced Elements Solar Camping Shower Bag is our number 1 recommended solar shower. It has the highest user rating for durability, functionality and innovative features.
#2: Stearns Sun Shower
The Stearns Sun Shower Series makes our Best Camping Shower Bag list for 2 reasons.
- It offers the same high quality & durable construction as the Advanced Elements. Unfortunately it does not have the additional features such as built-in pockets for soap and shampoo, vanity mirror, or the extra-large filling valve. You’ll save a buck or two for the trade-off.
- Our testing found that the Stearns Sun Shower has more water pressure than the other camping shower bags. As we looked closer we found that it’s due to the fact that it uses a larger diameter hose. You’ll want to consider this carefully though. More water pressure means more water volume, resulting in shorter showers. Luckily, it uses an adjustable “screw-out” shower head (opposed to the typical on/off valve) which allows you to regulate the flow to your preference.
The Stearns Sun Shower camping shower bag is just as durable as the Advanced Elements, but lacking a few of the special features. If the price difference between the 2 was more significant, the Stearns would be a nice lower-cost alternative. Unfortunately it is not (only a buck or 2 cheaper). However, due to the higher water pressure capabilities we still think it is a worthwhile consideration.
#3: Seattle Sports Solar Camping Shower Bags
We chose the Seattle Sports PVC-Free Solar Shower as one of the 3 best solar camping shower bags because it is currently the only solar shower made with 100% eco-friendly materials, giving environmentally conscious users ecological peace of mind. As the name implies, the Seattle Sports solar camping shower bag is manufactured with PEVA materials that are completely PVC free which makes them friendlier on the environment than the other solar shower choices.
- Easy push-pull valve on hose makes turning off the water a cinch
- Sturdy built-in handle for easily carrying and suspending
- Extra long hose
The Seattle Sports Camping Shower Bag is our Eco-Friendly recommended solar shower. Unfortunately it is not as durable as the Advanced Elements bag, nor does it have the features. But, it is the most environmentally friendly option available which is something to consider.